Spinal Fusion Surgery
Spinal Fusion Surgery is one of the most effective surgical treatments mainly performed to permanently connect two or more vertebrae in the spine thus reducing motion between them. Spinal fusion surgery is done by the minimally invasive technique. Most of the patients return to normal activities after undergoing spine fusion surgery. The main goal of spinal fusion is to join two or more vertebrae into one single structure.
During Spinal Fusion Surgery, the surgeon puts a bonelike material within the space between two spinal vertebrae. The metal plates, screws and rods can be used to hold the vertebrae together.
Conditions treated by Spinal Fusion Surgery
Spinal Fusion Surgery is done to connect two or more vertebrae in spine to improve stability, to correct a deformity and to reduce pain.
Spinal fusion surgery is very effective to reduce back pain if it is caused by conditions such as:
- Degenerative Disk Disease
- Spine Fracture or Broken Spinal Bone
- Spinal Stenosis
- Tumors or Spine Infection
Procedure of Spinal Fusion Surgery
- First of all, patient has to undergo imaging tests like X rays, MRI scan and others to detect exact location and severity of the diseases.
- This imaging test images are very helpful to doctors while planning and guiding surgery.
- Spine surgeon performs spinal fusion surgery when the patient is under general anesthesia.
- Today, most of the surgeons prefer minimally invasive technique to perform spinal fusion surgery because minimally invasive technique involves only smaller incisions instead of big tissue cut.
- Surgeon makes incision in one of the three locations like in neck region, in abdomen or on either side of the spine to gain easy access to the vertebra for fusion.
- Then surgeon uses bone graft to fuse two vertebras together. Doctor can use patient’s own bone graft usually taken from the pelvis.
- Surgeon places bone graft material between the vertebras to fuse vertebrae together permanently.
- Metal plates, screws or rods can be used to hold vertebrae together while the healing of bone graft.
- In some cases, surgeon also uses synthetic material instead of bone graft to increase the bone growth.